METALS & MACHINING
“If we relied only on hiring new people, we would never be able to expand to three times the size we originally had. The cobots have opened a new avenue of growth for us, while we’ve been able to retain existing workforce. No worker will lose their job to a robot.”
Aldo Albieri, Operations Manager, thyssenkrupp Bilstein
View the Case Study
THYSSENKRUPP BILSTEIN ADDRESSES LABOR SHORTAGE, EXPANDS PRODUCTION WITH FLEET OF UNIVERSAL ROBOTS
Tasks Solved: Tending of CNCs, punch and forming machines, pick-and place, assembly, product inspection
Automation Challenges Solved:
- Developed new growth avenues by automating hard-to-staff tasks
- Product quality increase as a result of 100% inspection Ability to automate without safety caging, enabling side-by-side operation with line workers
- Zero maintenance with no down-time or interruptions of the line
Key Value Drivers:
- 10-14 months ROI
- Collaborative and safe
- Easy programming
- Best cobot option for speed vs. repeatability
COLLABORATIVE ROBOTS IN
METALS & MACHINING
If your equipment is idle, it’s costing you money. While machine tending positions are tough to fill and retain, cobots are always on the job. Collaborative automation is ideal for machine tending applications such as CNC and die cast machines, press brakes, and dial tables, which can run around the clock consistently and reliably. You’ll keep your shop running and can move skilled machinists into higher value and more rewarding positions.
Cobots are also at the heart of collaborative welding systems that cost a fraction of traditional automated systems and can fit into standard welding work cells. Automate repetitive or small products that are undesirable for welders and move your best welders to high-profit product lines. The result is more consistent quality and more satisfied workers.
Collaborative automation is affordable and flexible, so you can easily move robot arms from one task to another as your business needs change. Programming is fast and easy, and programs can be saved for quick changeovers. No more long downtimes and scrap material as you train new and temporary workers. And no more turning work away because of limited resources.
- Increase productivity by optimizing equipment and workers. Cobots can work reliably around the clock, producing consistently higher-quality and reducing scrap. And ROI typically occurs in less than a year.
- Quickly and easily adapt to new products, even low-volume or quick-turn jobs. Collaborative robot arms can be reprogrammed and redeployed in-house, and can even be mounted on carts for easy mobility.
- Increase quality and consistency in repetitive tasks that are undesirable for human workers. Cobots can reliably perform precise, consistent welds and load and unload machines without breaks.
APPLICATIONS FOR COBOTS
CHOOSE THE RIGHT COLLABORATIVE ROBOT FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS
Universal Robots models range from precise assembly and screw driving tasks to long reach and high payload to handle larger products and for packaging and palletizing applications.
|Ø 128 mm
|Ø 149 mm
|Ø 190 mm
|Ø 190 mm
UR cobots are found in metal and machining applications worldwide. Choose from our family of robot arms, which come in a wide range of payload, reach, and size. The UR5 model is one of the most popular for machine tending and welding applications. Explore these case studies to help identify your next automation opportunity.